I love the way this floor turned out. I could not see me cutting out over 800 little hexagon tiles from card for this one! Pul-eeze... my nerves are still recovering from the double stairway rungs... soooo, I thought of a different and quicker way to simulate my hex tile floor for the kitchen.
I had an embossing folder with the perfect hexagon pattern on it so I thought I would use my Cuttlebug to press out several cardboard sheets of flooring and cut and fit the sections together, glue them to poster board and just use paint to give it a faux finish. Did I say, "I LOVE IT!" Just look at that texture and color!
It looked brand new, shiny and too good for an old floor until I dragged and swirled a cocoa colored ink pad across it in places before I sealed it with matte Mod Podge. I haven't waxed it yet but it's already gorgeous. You can even see the raised cut tiles where the sections were joined that helps to give it a real tiled look.
I decided to do the floor before I did the walls because I did not want to cut out around the different wall sections. Once the floor was down, I installed the back door. For the floor color, I used a FolkArt 'true burgundy' base coat on all of it and then dry brushed and smooshed the color terra cotta into the tiles, trying not to get it in the faux grout lines.