Saturday, November 9, 2019

Back Cover

There is always a dust factor to take into consideration with any dollhouse or sculpture. You don't know that maybe some day your house will be stored in an attic somewhere and you want to display it too. So you want to keep out the dust and dirt with covers and windows.




I always like to make a removable cover on the back of my dollhouses. Or I wrap them in plastic if I can't make a cover. Sometimes I will make a cardboard cover and just tape it on until I can do a more permanent solution. But I always like to protect my hard work from dust and dirt.

I cut this out after I made the stump and I'm glad I did it that way. But the edges are a challenge because they are layers of paper which didn't all get glued very well in places.




First I filled in the edges all around with wood glue. Then where they were the weakest, I used paper clay to fill in both on the edges and front and back. I did this over several days and let it dry between workings. I had previously cut a huge window in the back and decided to cover it up. I did cut two smaller windows later and reinforce the interior with paper clay.








No comments:

Post a Comment