Sunday, October 27, 2019

Stump Cottage Revisited

So working on the canned ham got me restarted on ideas for Stump Cottage. Stump Cottage was started back in 2006. It was my work-world liberation piece. I started it the day I was laid off from a place I had worked for 14 years. I was not upset like most people would be. I came home, grabbed some cardboard and glue and never looked back. Good riddance to the 9 to 5.

I needed to connect to nature again somehow and this is how I did it. I made Stump Cottage. I put it away for a few years and brought it back out recently to work on it some more. I recently re-did the door and made a few other changes but never really finishing it bugged me - so it's about time I did.





The first thing I did since the last stumpy post was clean it up a little. I had to tear off old pieces of moss and debris from a previous refurbish And then I started to reinforce the structure in places that had weakened with time.



I had used a paper mache with newspaper over a coke container cardboard structure. It had some weak spots. So I found this great paper clay recipe on Ultimate Paper Mache  by Jonni Good. This recipe has been altered and redone so many times by other people but you want to get hers, it's the original toilet paper made paper clay recipe with Elmer's glue and drywall compound.







This stuff dries like rock. I love it. It's easy and quick to make. It's like butta... well, not really like butta but it is good stuff! And it made the stump hard as real wood.



No comments:

Post a Comment