Thursday, April 5, 2018

Stump Cottage Revisited

The first thing I did the day I left the corporate world nearly 12 years ago was to come home and grab some cardboard and glue. I made a stump dollhouse. I was not going to spend one more day in a cube without a window to look out of. My peeps are in nature and I need to connect!






This is what I made. I built the shape out of a case of coke cardboard and added paper grocery bags dipped in paper mache and draped over it to look like tree bark. That ranks right up there with one of the best days I've every had! I was over it just that quick!





Well, it's been in the closet for the past six or seven years and I'm wanting to build or re-do something. I never worked with the inside of the house or took it any further than making the stump. I went on to many other creative endeavors since then. I think it's about time to re-do it and I've got some more experience with miniatures now plus a few ideas on making some mice to live there when I get it done.





So I'll be cutting it open and decorating the inside for my little family of mice that are just running around in my head at the moment. OUCH! One of them just tripped over my amygdala!





I'm going to re-do the cardboard windows and make them out of wood twigs I think. Wouldn't it be cute to make the awning look like a mushroom growing out of the tree? This is going to be fun!





The inside is just raw cardboard. I didn't do any finishing on it at all. If things so south when I cut it open for a door and gut it out, I am considering a mouse house shaped like cheese. I saw something back in the 70's in the back of a magazine and can't remember much more except it was a pattern for a cheese dollhouse and furry mice to make. I will have to count a lot on my memory if I go in that direction.

But I don't think I'll have any trouble making the inside look like a hollowed out tree. Gotta get a few projects out of the way before I start.




1 comment:

  1. Your re-do of your tree trunk house is going to be a Real Treat to watch happen. I think that your new ideas for it sound enchanting and with it's heavy leaning towards whimsy, the possibilities will be whatever strikes your fancy.
    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete