Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Mouse Escaped

From my mind... actually a couple of them did. I have done a little needle felting before but not much. I did have some needle felting supplies on hand so I thought I might make some mice out of that. I tried different methods for the armature and feet.






I'm pretty confident of the needle felting itself but wasn't sure what kind of feet I wanted my mice to have. My first mouse skeleton was twisted out of pipe cleaner and came out pretty big at about four inches. I also wrapped his wire toes and tail with one strand of pink yarn and glue over about a 24 gauge wire. It turned out ok but I don't know if I like it well enough to spend that much time on each mouse. I plan on making 6 or 7 of them.







The second mouse I made a little smaller out of 22 gauge green floral wire. It's about 3 inches high. I made the hands and feet out of felt and glued them on. It was a lot quicker than wrapping them. And I do like the smaller mice as I think they will fit in the stump better.






And then there's dressing them when I get them done. I really really like the handknit sweater look on them so it takes me a couple of hours to knit each little sweater but it's worth it for the look. I hand sew the clothes onto the mouse. They are not sturdy enough to dress and undress without too much wear and tear. They're not really for much play anyway, just for looks or in this case to decorate my stump dollhouse.






I might try racoon, fox, rabbit or squirrel dolls too in the future. You never know where you're going to go with it when you start a new project.







These are probably some of the cutest little things I've ever made. They could get addictive... I could say that about all my hobbies though.



1 comment:

  1. Your little mice are as sweet as can be! I Especially like the one in the green sweater and scarf- his expression is Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete